European Parliament, Brussels
For the celebration of the Dalai Lama’s 80th Birthday we welcomed more than 260 guests: Members of the European Parliament, Representatives of the Commission, Representatives of the Council, the Diplomatic Corps, interested citizens and Tibetans.
The chair of the TIG, Thomas Mann, and his colleague Csaba Sógor hosted a photo-exhibition “Ways of Wisdom” about the Dalai Lama’s life. The ceremony included Buddhist prayers, remarkable speeches, the live-creation of a sand-mandala and Tibetan dance and music. During his speech Mr. Mann emphasises the support of the European Parliament for the peaceful middle-way approach of His Holiness and dialogue with Chinese authorities as well as the importance of the “Memorandum on Genuine Autonomy for the Tibetan People”.
- Prayer by Tibetan monks
- Welcoming address and introduction by Thomas Mann (MEP), Chair of the Tibet Interest Group
- Speech by Csaba Sógor (MEP), co-organiser of the exhibition.
- Speech by Henri Malosse, President of the European Economic Social Committee
- Speech by Tseten Samdup, Representative of His Holiness the Dalai Lama to the EU & Western Europe
- Speech by Matteo Mecacci, President of the International Campaign for Tibet
- Tibetan dance and music performance